This page may contain affiliate links. Read here for more details.
Caribbean Rum Cake
A simple, delicious rum cake with a butter rum glaze. I prefer a milder tasting rum so I use Malibu Caribbean Rum with coconut liqueur but feel free to use the rum that suits your taste. This cake bakes up beautifully in a Bundt pan and is super moist and tasty with the glaze. Allow the cake to sit overnight before serving for best results
Servings 12 people
For The Cake
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans optional
- 1 15.25oz package yellow cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup rum use rum of choice (light/dark/white)
For The Glaze
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup rum use rum of choice
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour a 10 inch Bundt pan. Sprinkle chopped nuts (if using) evenly over the bottom of the pan
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix and pudding mix. Using an electric hand mixer, beat in the eggs, milk, oil, and 1/2 cup rum for 5 minutes until light and smooth. Pour the batter over the chopped nuts in the pan
- bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cool cake in Bundt pan for at least 20 minutes
- While cake is cooling make the glaze. In a saucepan, combine butter, water, and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat and continue to boil for 5 minutes stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup of rum
- Remove cake from Bundt pan and set aside. Pour half the glaze into the bottom of the Bundt pan. Carefully place the cake back into the pan. Poke holes in the cake using the back of a wooden spoon or fork then pour the remaining glaze over the cake. Let cake rest in pan for 10 minutes then carefully flip the cake onto your serving dish. Do not refrigerate.
Feel free to try other flavor combinations for this cake. Instead of vanilla pudding use coconut pudding. Sprinkle some sweetened coconut to the bottom of the Bundt pan in addition to or in place of the pecans. Use walnuts instead of pecans. This cake is so easy and will not disappoint!